Sunday 11 March 2007

As good today as it's always been...

I just spent the entire day (virtually) listening to Saxon (http://www.saxon747.com)

For those of you who are not familiar with their work, Saxon were a heavy metal band who burst on to the rock scene in 1980. I went to see them live at the Odeon in Taunton in that year (I was 16 or 17) and they were amazing.

Listening to the albums 'Strong Arm of The Law' and 'Wheels of Steel' today brought it all back. The speed, the power and the unbridled energy in each track still does the business 27 years later! Only AC/DC tops it (in my humble opinion). And the lyrics? Well, only Biff Byford could belt out the line: "on a blue sea of denim" in the track 'Heavy Metal Thunder' and make it sound brilliant.

It seems they have a new album out - cool.

If you remember them (or even if you don't) I suggest you do yourself a favour and download the tracks immediately.

Saxon - as good today as it's always been.

8 comments:

Rakhesh Rao said...

alright?

Oat said...

yup - are you a Saxon fan yet?

Rakhesh Rao said...

not really..need tyo listen to a bit more....

Rakhesh Rao said...

Hey you have to check this advert out! I think you will like it, it is on the same level as the Tata Sky ad! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnmWQ2TlGI0

Rakhesh Rao said...

moved my blog!

here it is: http://roaruk.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I never had you down as a metaller. I myself have an admiration for Saxon's early work and indeed many bands in the NWOBHM pantheon still sound forth from my iPod

Ev

Mindset Master said...

Haha Oat
I revisited SAXON last year, bought a compilation of all there best stuff.
A Collection of metal, 747 strangers in the night deserves a mention

Oat said...

Chap!

ok - personal Saxon top 5 currently hammering my eardrums are:-

1) See the light shining
2) Wheels of steel
3) Hungry years
4) Taking your chances
5) Motorcycle man

Saxon are at the Astoria in May - why don't we all go???